About the treatment
Please note that the Internet-based treatment described on this website is conducted in Swedish and only available to people registered and living in Sweden.
The Internet-based treatment for IBS is a self-help program divided into 5 steps (modules). Each module consists of a text that you read and exercises that you do. The treatment runs over a period of 12 weeks and during that time you will have continual contact with a psychologist via messages sent to each other over the treatment's web platform.
The psychologist answers questions and gives feedback on the assignments and exercises that you do. Every week you will fill out questionnaires about your symptoms so that the psychologist can follow your progress.
The 5 steps of the treatment focuses on these themes:
- Information about IBS and the treatment, including an introduction to exercises in mindfulness
- Worrying connected to IBS symptoms and how mindfulness can be used in a helpful manner
- Thoughts and behaviors linked to IBS symptoms, and focusing on what you value in life
- Exposure: Systematically expose yourself to situations which you currently avoid, in part or wholly, due to the IBS symptoms
- How to continue with helpful strategies after the treatment has finished
As may be concluded from the list above, the treatment does not primarily focus on reducing your IBS symptoms. Instead it aims at increasing your ability to move freely and improving your quality of life. It is, however, not uncommon that participating in the treatment leads to a reduction in IBS symptoms.
But the goal of the treatment is not reduced symptoms, rather, the goal is that the IBS symptoms should not stop you from doing what you want to do. Consequently, gradual and planned exposure, in which you learn that the symptoms and feared situations can be managed, is an important part of the treatment.
The Internet-based treatment described on this website is conducted in Swedish and only available to people registered and living in Sweden.